Last Saturday, the Bureau of Sanitation hosted an exceptional briefing session at the Los Angeles Environmental Learning Center at Hyperion exclusively for Neighborhood Councils including Public Works Liaisons, board presidents/chairs, and board members interested in knowing more about this services-filled city agency. Other special guests included:
- Josh Lafarga and Lydia Grant, Commissioners on the Board of Neighborhood Commissioners
- Heather Repenning, Commissioner on the Board of Public Works
- Enrique Zaldivar, Director of the Bureau of Sanitation
- Bureau of Sanitation Executive Management Team including Chief Operating Officer Traci Minamide, Chief Financial Officer Lisa Mowery, Assistant Director Adel Hagekhalil, Assistant Director Alex Helou, Acting Assistant Director Robert Irvin, and Assistant Director Leo Martinez
- Daniel Hackney, Neighborhood Council Liaison for the Bureau of Sanitation.
The morning was spent listening to the Executive Management Team of the Bureau of Sanitation brief board members about all of the services the Bureau provides to Angelenos including solid waste and resources management, water reclamation and recycling, wastewater treatment, watershed protection, sustainability, and ensuring that their role in many of the Mayor’s Executive Directives is successful. The day included plenty of time for Neighborhood Councils to share feedback and ask questions about not only the Clean Streets LA campaign, but about other services as well. The director spent some time sharing how the bureau remains accessible, transparent, responsive and accountable to the people of L.A. including explaining how the fees Angelenos pay (the Sewer Service Charge and Solid Resources Fee) are spent and how they manage current and expected demands and goals.
Thank you to those that attended to help shape the future partnership with the Bureau, and for those that didn’t attend please check out the list below of great resources you can use to help improve your community and Los Angeles.
On February 20th, Wilmington NC board member Diana Medel (not pictured because she took the photo) teamed up with community groups for a neighborhood clean-up day; she gets an “excused absence” for not attending the Sanitation briefing.
Please find below a list of great Bureau of Sanitation resources:
- PowerPoint presentation
- Daniel Hackney, Neighborhood Council Liaison can be reached at Daniel.Hackney@lacity.org
- For service requests you can dial 3-1-1, call 1-800-773-2489, or submit an online request.
- Mulch give-away locations
- Visit the L.A. Environmental Learning Center @ Hyperion
- Mayor’s Clean Streets Initiative
- Bureau of Sanitation & Clean Streets LA
- Read and monitor the city’s Implementation Plan for the Clean Streets Citywide Program at Council File: 15-0600-S78
- Please complete a five minute Sanitation Survey on street/alley/sidewalk cleanliness in Los Angeles. Responses are confidential.