Connect with your stakeholders by disconnecting from your land-lines and cell phones. All it takes is a virtual phone and an email account.
Google Voice is a telephone solution that offers Neighborhood Councils many features, liberating councils from the need to maintain a land-line, a message machine, or a cell phone that must be carried by a board member.
The Department used a virtual phone number during elections so that any incoming call went to several people, who could respond via email and phone. The number was 818-293-VOTE (8683).
Google Voice is part of Google and it’s a free service that has many benefits:
- FREE – select a local number and pay nothing
- TRANSCRIPTION – phone messages are transcribed and emailed to recipients
- MULTIPLE RECIPIENTS – phone calls can go to more than one recipient
- MULTIPLE RECIPIENTS – messages can go to more than one recipient
- LIBERATION – There is no need for a physical phone
- ANYWHERE – access your calls anywhere, no need to go to the office
- FLEXIBILITY – take your transcribed messages by email or cell phone or both
- CUSTOMIZABLE – your voice message is yours, change it at any time from anywhere
- MOBILITY – answer that local phone number from anywhere
- CONNECTIVITY – your constituents can easily connect with your Board
Here are the steps in creating a Google Voice account:
- Visit the Google Voice website, then sign in with your Google Account (create a Google Account for your Neighborhood Council, if you don’t have one already)
- You’ll be prompted to choose a Google Voice account type. Select I want a new number.
- Enter a forwarding phone number and phone type. This is the phone that will ring when someone calls your Google number. You can add more phones later. Learn more about call forwarding.
- You’ll see a numerical code on your screen. Take note of the code, then click Call Me Now to verify your forwarding phone.
- When you receive the call, enter the code from your computer screen.
- Search for an available Google number.
Tip: Search by area code, zip code, or word/phrase, then see options that match your criteria. At this time, Google Voice doesn’t offer 1-800 or vanity numbers.
- Select your number.
After your Google number is set up, you can add more forwarding phones from Settings > Phones > Add another phone.
If you have any questions on setting up Google Voice, please email Communications@EmpowerLA.org