Mayor Eric Garcetti’s Office of Gang Reduction and Youth Development (GRYD) is currently accepting applications for Summer Night Lights (SNL) program Youth Squad/Lead Youth Squads. GRYD’s mission is to strengthen youth/young adult, family and community resilience to the influence of gangs by fostering public/private collaboration and supporting community-based prevention and intervention services. SNL is a key component of the comprehensive GRYD strategy which was piloted during the summer of 2008 as a response to research that point to youth being most likely to commit violent crimes during the summer months in the City of Los Angeles. Now in its 10th consecutive summer, the SNL program is implemented in 32 parks across the city with the goal of reducing gang related violence in and around SNL sites & providing community engagement and employment opportunities for youth as well as adults.
YOUTH SQUAD WORK DUTIES
- Engage community members and encourage program participation prior to and during programming
- Conduct daily outreach to provide program information and promote program offerings in and around the surrounding the Attend and participate fully in all program trainings, meetings, and planning sessions
- Participate in events related to work readiness, professional development, and educational
- Carry out the logistics of setting up, breaking down, and closing the SNL program nightly, as well as other program-related tasks as needed.
- Facilitation of youth lead programming at assigned site.
- Completion of program surveys to provide feedback on SNL programming and employment; and other duties as assigned.
LEAD YOUTH SQUAD WORK DUTIES
- Assist in SNL Youth Squad coordination which includes developing schedules, providing direction, input and feedback, and providing mentorship.
- Engage community members and encourage program participation prior to and during programming.
- Conduct daily outreach to provide program information and promote program offerings in and around the surrounding the community.
- Participate in events related to work readiness, professional development, and educational opportunities.
- Carry out the logistics of setting up, breaking down, and closing the SNL program nightly. This includes all aspects of the SNL program (Arts, Sports, Workshops, Recreational Activities, Food distribution).
- Assistance and supervision of daily set up and break down of program activities and equipment. This includes communicating supply, equipment, and staffing needs to Program Coordinator, and developing nightly staff assignments and schedules.
- Implementation of site outreach plan, ongoing assessment of community participation and identification of additional outreach efforts;
- Facilitation of youth led programming at assigned site.
- Completion of program surveys to provide feedback on SNL programming and employment; other duties as assigned.
Lead Youth Squad MUST have previous employment experience with Summer Night Lights as a Lead Youth Squad/Youth Squad member.
Youth Squad/ Lead Youth Squad Members’ employment is from
Jun. 19, 2017 – Aug. 5, 2017 (Tuesdays-Saturdays, 40 hours/week) and
Aug. 11, 2017 – Aug 26, 2017 (Fridays & Saturdays, 16 hours/week).
APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION PROCESS
To access the application (and any other available SNL positions), please click here.
Applications due date is Friday, April 7 th at 5:00 pm. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, and early submission is encouraged.
Please share with your networks/contacts.