Harbor City Neighborhood Council: 2018 EmpowerLA Award winner for the Harbor area
Harbor City Neighborhood Council put on the 1st annual Harbor City Winter Wonderland event in partnership with CD15, Recreation and Parks, City Lights Foundation, Chamber of Commerce, LAUSD, LAPD, Starbucks, Harbor City-Lomita Lions Club, Beacon House, California Teachers Association, Harbor College, Kaiser Permanente, Central San Pedro NC, IDEPSCA, and many others to bring snow to Harbor City’s newly restored Ken Malloy Harbor Regional Park. Promotional artwork was chosen via an art contest for local students. The event featured craft booths, free t-shirts and food, performances, a tree lighting, movie, food trucks, and photos with Santa and local Harbor legend Reggie the Alligator. About 200-300 people were expected to attend; outreach was so successful that nearly 3000 people showed up.
Harbor Gateway North
HGNNC’s 2017 initiatives and projects included:
- Coordinated Clean Up Days and recognized as a Clean Street Award winner
- Planning and Land Use Committee held meetings to discuss California Waste Services business operations. Engaged AQMD, CD 15 and LEA (Local Enforcement Agency) and LA City Building and Safety. Area residents most affected by the nuisances reported were able to engage directly with the business owner.
- Hosted Cert Training and Emergency Preparedness Outreach event for stakeholders to learn about how to prepare for disasters.
- Partnered with resident block club captains and surveyed 63 blocks to determine how many residents have disabilities and/or special needs
- Facilitated meetings at several elementary schools and discussed the benefits of using the 311 APP for reporting requests for service