On Thursday June 28th, come meet new neighbors from across the globe at the New Arrival Festival and Supper Club, happening at the historic Pico House in downtown LA from 5 pm – 8 pm. Eat great food, listen to music, and enjoy panel discussions hosted by people like KCRW’s “Good Food” host Evan Kleiman.
Pico House is in the El Pueblo historic district across from Los Angeles Union Station, at 424 S Main Street, 90012
What is this festival for?
This edition of the New Arrival Supper Club will help raise awareness for the Welcome, Neighbor program – a project of refugee assistance nonprofit Miry’s List in partnership with EmpowerLA. Welcome, Neighbor will help Neighborhood Councils play an active role in assisting new refugee families as they start new lives in Los Angeles. The project is a finalist for an LA2050 grant; your vote in the LA2050 finals can be instrumental in funding it! Voting is open June 19th – 29th; visit https://activation.LA2050.org/vote to cast your ballot.
- Syrian fare by New Arrival Supper Club featuring cook Abir AlJrafi of Syria
- Welcoming reception with music performed by Dalan Younes new arrival musician from Syria
- Opening Remarks with Miry Whitehill, former Eagle Rock NC member and founder of Miry’s List, which has been instrumental in making Los Angeles a more welcoming place for all
- Panel: Resettling in the City of Angels, a Conversation with New Arrivals in LA. Moderated by Maz Jobrani: Comedian, Angeleno, Iranian-American
- Live hummus preparation demo with Abir of Syria, hosted by Evan Kleiman, culinary multitasker, Angeleno, good neighbor
- Welcome Blanket Exhibit in partnership with Jayna Zwieman
- Family portrait studio by Christina Gandolfo