Welcome to the EmpowerLA Leadership Academy’s Online Classroom!
Here you will find training videos on a variety of topics that will help you in your Neighborhood Council work. Click on the Leadership Icons below to find out about current workshops.
The EmpowerLA Leadership Academy is designed to help Neighborhood Council Board members and stakeholders within the community be more effective in making their voices heard and making a difference in their neighborhoods. Inspired by Carol Baker Tharp, past General Manager of the Department of Neighborhood Empowerment, the Academy provides opportunities to learn the information, hone the skills, and nurture the relationships that lead to success for Neighborhood Councils. Ms. Tharp maintained the belief that civic engagement is the cornerstone of democracy and that empowering individuals can empower neighborhoods and improve quality of life for all residents of the City of Los Angeles. Through the EmpowerLA Leadership Academy you can receive free training on leadership, cross-cultural skills, the nuts and bolts of City government processes, conflict resolution, communications and in-depth understanding about issues from planning and development, to sustainability, education and development. The Academy is composed of classes taught by City officials, community colleges, academic institutions, community based organizations, thought leaders from various disciplines and professionals. In addition, you will have the opportunity to learn from other Neighborhood Councils about what works and what doesn’t in their community. A variety of venues and technologies make attending easy. Start empowering yourself and your community today.
Why attend the EmpowerLA Leadership Academy?
- It is a safe, supportive learning environment
- A variety of courses and topics that will fit your personal and organizational needs.
- Online courses and local workshops make it convenient and easy to integrate into your busy schedule.
- Multi-lingual, multi-cultural students are encouraged and supported.
- The tools and skills you learn can help you in your personal and professional development outside the Neighborhood Council system.
- They are free.
- Because you shouldn’t have to reinvent the wheel when other Neighborhood Councils are facing similar challenges.
The Academy also maintains a Reference Library of important operational and legal documents affecting the Neighborhood Council system.
Related Documents to Brown Act:
Public Records Act related document:
RELATED DOCUMENTS (IN PDF)
Outreach and Marketing
- Setting the Agenda
- Running the Meeting
- Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
- Parliamentary Procedures, Meeting Safety Issues