Tuesdays this Fall at LA Law Library, learn all the things you “didn’t know you needed to know” about building your business.
Experts in law, finance and marketing, among other subjects, will present this 14-part series giving entrepreneurs and business owners the practical and comprehensive training needed to set up a business for long-term growth and success. Classes are held on Tuesdays 12:00-2:00, February 13 through May 15, 2018. All classes are FREE.
LA Law Library is the largest public law library in the western U.S., and a major downtown hub for legal research, instruction and education for business owners, professionals and the general public. In addition to acting as the curator and cultivator of a superior collection of legal resources comprised of nearly one million volume equivalents – including one of the nation’s largest foreign and international law collections – LA Law Library serves as a gateway to legal information and a navigator facilitating access to the legal system for those who do not have or cannot afford legal representation. Our staff serves more than fifty thousand patrons annually, both nationally and globally, and the number continues to grow daily as new programs and workshops are developed with the assistance of our many partners. These critical community efforts depend on revenue from civil court filing fees as well as private donations. For additional information on the LA Law Library, please visit www.lalawlibrary.org or call 213.785.2529.
Discounted parking is available at the library’s public parking lot located at the corner of 1st & Hill St. through class registration for $8. LA Law Library is also conveniently located next to the Civic Center Metro station downtown, and can be easily reached by many Metro bus lines and the downtown Dash.
Starting and Growing Your Business: Where to Start
Tuesday, February 13, 2018 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Presented by: Wai Ling Chin & Ryan Metheny
• Developing a business idea
• Identifying a market and reaching customers/clients
• Avoiding common legal issues
Planning for Success: Business Plan Writing Workshop
Tuesday, February 20, 2018 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Presented by: Mark Kapczynski with the support of
• Why a business plan is essential
• Setting goals for your business
Make It Official: Get Your Business Licensed
Tuesday, February 27, 2018 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Presented by: City, County, State & IRS Officials
• How to apply for business licenses and permits
• Avoid license, permit & tax compliance issues
Know Before You Sign the Dotted Line: Reading & Negotiating Business Contracts
Tuesday, March 6, 2018 | 12:00-2:00 p.m.
Presented by: G. Mark Santa-Anna
• Essential terms of a contract for goods or services
• “Typical” contracts negotiated by business people
How to Form a Corporation or LLC
Tuesday, March 13, 2018 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m
Presented by: Prof. Michael Chasalow
• Advice on creating legal structures that will protect business start-ups and accommodate the business as it grows
• Why shouldn’t you just operate as a partnership or a sole proprietorship?
From Seed Money to Serious Investment: Raising Money for Your Business
Tuesday, March 20, 2018 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Presented by: Kevin Lew with the support of Bixel Exchange
• How to sell your business to investors
• Crafting a business pitch
On Solid Ground: Financial Planning for Business Owners
Tuesday, March 27, 2018 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Presented by: Kimberly Kelly-Rolfe
• Setting realistic financial and personal goals
• Minimizing tax liability
Keeping the Books: Business Accounting Basics
Tuesday, April 3, 2018 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Presented by: Gary Krausz
• How to apply the fundamentals of financial modeling to set realistic, achievable goals
• How to use key financial statements like income, balance sheet, and cash flow
Branding and Marketing 101
Tuesday, April 10, 2018 | 12:00-2:00 p.m.
Presented by: Erin Kapczynski
• Approach to marketing on a budget
• Promoting your company and product or service
Protecting Your Intellectual Property: Trademarks, Copyrights & Patents
Tuesday, April 17, 2018 | 12:00 p.m. -2:00 p.m.
Presented by: Adam Daniels & Yira Dirocie with the support of Bixel Exchange
• Protecting an original invention through the patent process
• What types of expressions are protected by copyright
Sales Techniques and Strategies
Tuesday, April 24, 2018 | 12:00-2:00 p.m.
Presented by: Doug Korte with the support of Bixel Exchange
• Defining your competition (SWOT analysis – strength/weak- ness/opportunity/threat)
• Road(s) to market – developing a sales and distribution
Protecting Your Business Advantages: Trade Secrets and Nondisclosure Agreements
Tuesday, May 1, 2018 | 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Presented by: Dan Forman
• Trade secrets: how to obtain, protect, and enforce
• Your employee’s legal duty of loyalty: how far does it go?
Government Contracts – Steady Income for Your Business – Plus: Small Business Development & Opportunities in Los Angeles County
Tuesday, May 8, 2018 | 12:00-2:00 p.m.
• Finding and responding to public solicitations
• Business development and government contractingresourc- es in L.A. County
Should I Be Exporting? Increase Your Revenue by Tapping Foreign Markets
Tuesday, May 15, 2018 | 12:00-2:00 p.m.
Presented by: Jim MacLellan & Maurice Kogon
• Is exporting for me?
• The Trade Connect program for exporters
Registration fees: FREE – sponsored by the Friends of the Los Angeles County Law Library through the generous support of Pacific Western Bank.
Detailed class information and speakers biographies can be found at www.lalawlibrary.org/BUSINESS.