BSS are the “one-stop” agency for Special Events permits. If your Neighborhood Council is planning a festival, street fair, health fair, carnival, or other public event of this kind, you will need a BSS Special Event permit. BSS processes permits for all events happening on the Public Right of Way (street, sidewalk, etc) except for 1st amendment events such as protests, which are handled by LAPD.

BSS also processes Building Material applications for items like cranes or trash bins that are to be placed on the Public Right of Way.

To obtain a Special Event permit, visit the Bureau of Street Services at

Los Angeles, CA 90015

Permit counter hours are Mon-Fri 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM

For more information about BSS permits and permit counter hours, please visit

(photo by Lalu Fatoni via Pexels)