Neighborhood Council (NC) Board Members, both elected and appointed, are required to complete 4 trainings in order to vote on issues that come before the council: Ethics, Funding, Code of Conduct, and the Anti-Bias Learning for Employees (ABLE) Training.
EmpowerLA tracks the compliance on these three items and posts the results of the each training on the EmpowerLA website so that the public and the board can see who is eligible to vote. To see your Neighborhood Council’s training status, visit EmpowerLA.org/councils and choose your Neighborhood Council.
Please click on each tab below to access more information about the topics:
Neighborhood Council Board Members, both elected and appointed, are required to do three things in order to vote on issues that come before the council: take Ethics Training, take Funding Training, and sign a Code-of-Conduct Certificate. EmpowerLA tracks the compliance on these three items and posts the results of the Ethics and Funding Training on the EmpowerLA website so that the public and the board can see who is eligible to vote. Visit EmpowerLA.org and select your council to see a page that has information on your council, including the location of your meetings, your bylaws and maps, and a roster of Boardmembers with their contact email and their training status. Please take a look and verify the accuracy of this information, emailing Rosters@EmpowerLA.org with any updates or corrections.
For new Board Members that have yet to be updated on the NC EmpowerLA Page Board Roster, please make sure to email Rosters@EmpowerLA.org and CC your officers. The new Board Member will then have the information updated on the EmpowerLA NC page roster. Please make sure to have completed your trainings, so that it can updated at once when you are added to the NC EmpowerLA Page Board Roster.
To be eligible to vote on any NC Expenditure, Financial Reports, and/or annual budgets, the board member must:
- Be an Elected, Appointed and/or Selected Board Member of the NC
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have completed the Ethics Training at least every two years.
- Board members may also attend the live ethics training offered by the City Attorney’s office (check weekly EmpowerLA newsletter sent to board members)
- Have completed and signed the Code of Conduct Training at least every two years.
- Have completed the Funding Training and obtain a passing score of 70% or above on any test associated with the online course at least once every 2 years.
- Financial Officers will have to attend an in-person training with the Office of City Clerk. Click here to see the upcoming in person traininigs.
- Any Funding trainings completed before July 1, 2018 will expire June 30, 2020
- Ethics Certifications expire 2 years after the date taken.
- As per California Government Code Section 53235, Neighborhood Councils board members are required to take an Ethics training consisting of 2 hour, at least every 2 years.
Code of Conduct:
- Code of Conduct trainings expire 2 years after the date taken.
- As Per Policy Number 2014-2(1), a board member has 30 days to complete their Code of Conduct training. If a newly elected board member does not complete the Code of Conduct training within the 30 day time frame, that board member will be suspended from their Neighborhood Council, cannot act on any Neighborhood Council matters, and cannot be counted towards establishing a quorum for the Neighborhood Council. If the Code of Conduct is not completed within 30 days of suspension, the boardmember will be removed from the Neighborhood Council board.
- Funding Trainings expire 2 years after the date taken.
- Every board member must complete the Ethics, NC Board Member Funding, and Code of Conduct trainings to be eligible to vote on financial matters. Please review the Neighborhood Council Funding Policies here.
- Any Funding trainings completed before July 1, 2018 will expire June 30, 2020. Any Funding trainings completed after July 1, 2018 will expire in 2 years from the date taken.
BENEFITS OF CORNERSTONE:
One login for all three required trainings: Ethics, Code of Conduct, and Funding (non Financial Officer training*)
One central location to access status of training
Easy to use online classroom style
Automatic email reminders for about-to-expire certificates
Department access, control, and support of all trainings
Access to additional trainings provided by the City of Los Angeles
Faster updates to the status of board member trainings on EmpowerLA website
Instant access to completed certificates for Board Members
*Financial Officers will have to attend the in-person training with the Office of City Clerk. Click here to see the upcoming in person trainings.
Please click on the “+” sign to see the answers.
Unfortunately, the LA City Cornerstone account does not allow users to add themselves. This is a paid service, and we are limited on how many users can be added. Therefore, the Department will have to provide you with the login information. If you have not gotten your login information, please email communications@EmpowerLA.org.
The Department of Neighborhood Empowerment sent Cornerstone login information to each board member as their election was finalized. Cornerstone rolled out by election Region, starting with Region 5 (Hollywood area) Neighborhood Councils on the week of April 15, 2019. The remaining regions received their emails about 2 weeks after their election, with the last email sent out on July 9th for Regions 10 (South LA) and 13 (Downtown LA).
Yes, for any Board Member who has gotten their certification using the old method and is still in compliance (certifications have not expired), their certification will be archived in Cornerstone for future access.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to retrieve your login information.
Please allow the department 1-2 weeks to update your training status. If it has been more than 2 weeks since you’ve completed your training and the EmpowerLA website does not reflect your training status correctly, please contact email@example.com.